Apply for a Conference Scholarship
2020 Scholarship to SCBWI Illinois Interactive
This scholarship covers conference fees for attendance to the 2020 SCBWI Illinois Interactive online conference. It is open to any children’s writer or illustrator of color who have never attended SCBWI-IL’s yearly conference, previously called Prairie Writers and Illustrators Day. You can also meet previous scholarship winners.
Submissions are due September 6th, 2020, 11:59 Central Standard time
1. Your manuscript does not have to contain identifiably diverse content; we’re only interested that the creator is from a underrepresented racially diverse background. This includes, but is not limited to Native American, Asian, Black or African American, Latino, Pacific Islander, or Middle Eastern.
2. This scholarship is open to writers and illustrators who have never attended SCBWI Illinois’ yearly conference. An exception will be made for writers and illustrators who have attended Prairie Writers and Illustrator’s day in the past and are experiencing financial hardships, but please indicate this in the body of the email.
3. No writer or illustrator can be previously traditionally published in any of the genres listed below.
How to Apply
1. Include in the subject line: KLN: Own Your Voice Scholarship: Genre
Genres: Picture book = (PB) , middle grade = (MG) , chapter book = (CB), young adult = (YA), or illustrator = (IL)
2. In the body of the email, in 250 words, describe your diverse background and what attending a professional children’s writing conference means to you.
3. Submit entire picture book manuscript or the first 5 pages of any CB, MG, or YA novel in standard manuscript.
4. Illustrators include a pitch in the body of email and up to 5 art samples attached as jpegs.
5. Include your name, email address, address, and phone number at the bottom of your email.
6. Do not include name or contact information on the manuscript.
7. Please email to Urania Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 6th, 2020, 11:59 Central Standard time.